Tuesday 14 December 2010

Schumacher defends comeback choice

Michael Schumacher has defended his motivation for returning to Formula 1 this year, and says he still feels positive about his comeback despite suggestions that his middling form is sullying his legendary reputation.

In his first year back after a three-season absence, Schumacher rarely looked like the driver who dominated the sport for much of the 1990s and 2000s, winning a record seven titles along the way.

He was outpaced by Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg this year and made some uncharacteristic errors, but did show flashes of better form later in the season.

But in an interview with CNN, Schumacher said the most important thing was that he was enjoying being back on the grid.

“I feel I have the right to do what I enjoy,” he said.

“Whether I put in dispute my reputation, I just feel good about my decision and I have so much support from people.”

But despite clearly enjoying being back in the cockpit, Schumacher underlined that he was serious about winning again and not just racing for personal amusement.

“I certainly want to make it a successful return,” he declared.

“I'm only happy if I'm back on the winning road with the team.

“This is what I'm working for, this is the joy of the passion for Formula 1.”

He is confident that even though Mercedes didn't deliver a winning car in 2010, it has the capability to repeat the success its forerunner Brawn GP achieved in ’09.

“It's certainly not as successful as I thought initially and many other people have thought,” Schumacher said of his 2010 campaign.

“But then having such a strong group and team behind, Mercedes pushing it so hard, I have no doubt about success in the future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment