Wednesday 29 June 2011

Button targets podium in home Grand Prix

Next weekend’s British Grand Prix will be the twelfth for Jenson Button, although the 2009 World Champion is yet to record a rostrum result in his home race. After debuting for Williams eleven years ago, Button’s best Silverstone finishes to date are his fourth place results for BAR and McLaren in 2004 and 2010, respectively.
“Hopefully I can get onto the podium and that’s my aim- for some reason I’ve never been on the podium at the British Grand Prix,” he said in a Tuesday interview for McLaren title sponsor Vodafone.

“I think Lewis (Hamilton) and myself were a bit negative after the (Valencia) race because we just weren’t quick enough. But, looking at it now, we have some good improvements for Silverstone. I don’t know whether it’s going to be enough to fight with the Red Bulls or to get onto the podium, but we have improvements and we’re positive that we’re going to get the best out of them. We’ll see. We want to put on a good show for the British fans and I think that’s why we were a little bit negative after the last Grand Prix.”
When asked if Sebastian Vettel’s championship advantage of 77 points can be cut down, Button replied:
“He’s got a big advantage after eight races but…who knows. We’re not going to stop trying. We’re going to be trying our best, we’re a fantastic team and I feel that, if we keep pushing hard, we’ll slowly, slowly pull them back. I hope so.
“It’s tricky because they’re doing a great job, and they are doing a great job. The only people that have beaten them have been us – Lewis and myself – so we are the challengers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment